Thursday, February 4, 2010

Rant du jour

You KNOW what they say about Assuming.
by Karen Frank Networking Trainer

Sometimes nice people with the best of intentions can run afoul of the sensibilities of others. Examples of these are people in direct selling who are using outdated marketing models, people who have been trained to "get over hating sales because sales is service" and those who genuinely want to stay in touch because they KNOW they can help you.

Here are three quick self check in's to make sure you're not crossing a line without meaning to.

1. Just because you are "passionately speaking from your heart" doesn't mean you're not being pushy.

It happens all of the time to people who are using slightly outdated marketing models. "Just speak from your heart and it will all work out OK," Well that's mostly true AS LONG AS you're paying attention. Watch for tell tale signs of lack of interest or discomfort. Sometimes your story is TMI (too much information) and sometimes you think the person you are talking with has the problem you can solve - which leads us to

2. Even if you KNOW your product can help me it doesn't really matter.

You must do two things. Build familiarity and trust. In building the relationship if you have determined that I have a problem, but I don't think I have it, then you're just being pushy, frankly. I am not your target market unless I KNOW I have the problem you solve and am ACTIVELY SEEKING a solution. If I am not, then maybe I need education OR maybe I am solving it another way and I am too polite to tell you which then leads to

3. Please don't put me on your list without permission and them bombard me with information I don't care about

I am on the lists of dozens of well meaning people who I KNOW I've never asked to be included in their distribution list. There's this tool in outlook that sends certain emails directly to the trash. If I've figured out how to use it other people have too. IF you want a relationship with me, so I will connect you with others who need what you have, demonstrate that you will be a great referral source by
a. Not being pushy
b. Asking permission before plunging into your story
c. Getting permission to stay in contact
d. Actually stay in contact.

I am very unlikely to refer someone who only contacts me when their latest greatest product or service rolls out.

A relationship is just that. Not only do we talk business, we know each other - we're friends.

Fancy that!

Want to use this article in your newsletter or on your website? You can! Just be sure to include the entire article and include this complete “blurb” with it:

Networking Expert, Karen Frank publishes Networking News, a semi-monthly newsletter devoted to helping you avoid marketing disasters and networking faux pas. Get the home study course "The Seven Deadly Sins of Networking and How to Avoid them" Free when you sign up for Networking News at www.7deadlysinsofnetworking.com

***OK Rant over. ***

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Karen Frank is a woman on a mission – to change the way the world does networking and marketing forever. She formed her business, recently re-named “3 E Communications,” in 2003. She started out creating elevator speeches and presentation scripts and soon discovered that she loved to create marketing copy. Although her first love is writing, Karen discovered that the most effective way to dramatically affect her clients’ bottom line was to get them involved in the process, and so she began teaching. Since that time hundreds of entrepreneurs have learned how to talk about their business and get the results they want.